E. & H.T. Anthony & Company, 591 Broadway, New York 1894-1901
From Anthony's Illustrated Catalogue for February 1898
Anthony's Lanternoscope was manufactured from at least 1894-1901 and is marked with their well known nickel-plated tag engraved "E. & H.T. Anthony & Co., Manufacturers, 591 Broadway, N.Y."
Designed to permit the viewing of 3-1/4" x 3-1/4" glass lantern slides without the need for artificial light, it was constructed of finely finished mahogany with an approximate 4" diameter magnifying lens. Equipped with nickel-plated hardware and a single bed strut, the viewer measures 5-1/2" tall, 5-1/2" wide and 8" deep in the open position. The slide to be viewed would be slid in behind the ground glass frame attached to the bellows. Mounted on a scissor-strut base, the frame can be moved in and out to focus the image.
Other than being advertised in Anthony's catalogues, few references can be found. It is one of Anthony's more obscure accessories, and almost never seen today.
Cover of Anthony's Illustrated Catalogue for February 1898