BELL & HOWELL MERIT AWARD
Bell & Howell, Chicago, Illinois 1940's - 1950's
This Bell & Howell Authorized Dealer Merit Award was given to Elmira Arms Company, Inc., a firearms and sporting goods store known to have operated in Elmira, New York during the 1930's.
Impressive in all respects and weighing 4 lbs. and 11 oz., the plaque was cast of solid bronze. These are believed to have been awarded to outstanding Bell & Howell dealers during the 1940's and 1950's.
The plaque replicates Bell and Howell's famous shield logo, found on most of their professional cameras and equipment from 1912 through the 1950's. The manufacturer is unknown, and although this particular example has no casting markings, a four-digit number with the word "Pattern" has been seen on another known example. The plaque measures approximately 11-1/4" high and 10-1/4" wide at its widest point. It is 1/4" thick, with four protruding mounting points on the rear, similar to those found on a pot trivet. These points add about another 3/32" to the plaque's thickness and have threaded holes to permit screw mounting to a wall, desktop or other surface. Two of these points could also be used to affix a wire, to hang the plaque if desired.
A great piece of Bell & Howell ephemera that's rarely seen today.