COLES PICTURE MACHINE CORPORATION PROJECTION LENS
Bausch & Lomb Optical Company, Rochester, New York, for the Coles Picture Machine Corporation, 120 West Forty-First Street, New York 1915-1917
Motion picture projection lens from an apparently short-lived company.
The lens has an approximate height of 4-1/2" with a barrel diameter of 1-7/8". It focuses by pushing or pulling the internal sleeve, versus the rack-and-pinion arrangement seen on some other projection lenses of the period.
Per Iron Age, October 21, 1915, "The Coles Picture Machine Corporation, 120 West Forty-First Street, New York has been incorporated with a capital stock of $50,000 to manufacture a motion picture projector. It will acquire an existing plant for its manufacturing operations. Howard B. Coles is president and William H. Coles, formerly associated with the McIntosh Hardware Corporation, Cleveland, Ohio, is secretary".
Per the McGraw Electrical Trade Directory, December, 1916, Cole Picture Machine Corporation, Brooklyn, New York lists a "Cameron" motion picture projector. Two types: one for hand operation, the other motor-driven. 40 A. or less 125V. Motors, Colonial Fan & Motor Co., 1/8 H.P., 110 V., A.C. and D.C.
Coles Picture Machine Corporation does not yet appear in the New York City Telephone Directory for February, 1915. But by October, 1915, the firm is listed at 120 W. 41st Street and by May 10, 1917 at 242 W. 41st Street. By October 11, 1917, the Coles Picture Machine Corporation no longer appears in the New York City Telephone Directory.
Between 1912 and 1919, James A. Cameron of Brooklyn, New York was awarded at least ten patents dealing with motion picture apparatus, six of which were assigned to the Cameron Picture Machine Company of Brooklyn, New York, a Corporation of New York. The Brooklyn and Queens, New York Business Directory for 1914-1915, lists the Cameron Picture Machine Co. New York, with James A. Cameron as President, G.B. Birch as Secretary, Frederick H. Blake as Treasurer, with capital of $350,000. Directors: James A. Cameron, Edward Esmonde, G.B. Birch and Frederick H. Blake with an address at 61 Poplar. The same directory also lists the Cameron Machine Co. New York, with James A. Cameron as President & Treasurer, G.B. Birch as Secretary with capital of $65,000. Directors: James A. & E. M. Cameron and G.B. Birch, also with an address at 61 Poplar.
Per the website Cinematographica, the Cameron Picture Machine Company of Brooklyn, New York manufactured a 35mm projector called the "Cameron" in 1913. The Cameron projector appears to be very rare, as aside from the foregoing information, I have never seen references in trade publications or an actual example.
Also, a James R. Cameron was involved in motion picture projection, having initiated an annual motion picture projectionist's guide beginning in 1919 that was continously published into the 1950's. It's undetermined whether the Cameron Projector was named after either James A. or James R. Cameron, or whether any relationship existed between them.
It's unclear as to the complete story between the Coles Picture Machine Company and the Cameron Picture Machine Company, and as to what entity actually produced the "Cameron".