Auguste Cadot, Paris, France circa 1893
The English translation of this French-built shutter with the German name "Momentverschluss" is "Moment Closure". The "A. * C." stamped on the shutter's mechanism is the maker Auguste Cadot's initials.
So far, relatively little has been found regarding Cadot's Momentverschluss (or Cadot's Shutter), other than an engraving depicted in the "All About Shutters" issue of the Western Photographic Collectors Association's Journal The Photographist, Spring, 1993. The source of the engraving featured in this issue was the Handbuch de Photographie, Dr. J.M. Eder,1893.
Made to attach to the front of a lens shade, the shutter is capable of being released either manually or pneumatically and can make time or instantaneous exposures.
Reportedly, Auguste Cadot opened his factory in Paris, France in 1884, beginning the production of cameras in the 1890's. Cadot, along with Charles Ullmann and Jacques Ullmann of 45 Southampton Buildings, Chancery Lane, London, filed an Application for Letters Patent, No. 13,730 on July 3, 1899 for Improvements in Phonographs and Graphofones. Reference was also found in a Popular Photography article from June, 1984, to Cadot's 1890 patent for a book-camera lens/shutter that made its appearance in 1892 in the "Photo-Album", a book camera with flaps that opened to accept a plate holder.
Encountered more often overseas, as was the case in acquiring this example, Cadot's Momentverschluss is rarely seen in the U.S.
Cadot's Momentverschluss shown mounted to a Rapid Rectilinear 5x7 lens