ANTHONY'S LANTERN SLIDE CAMERA
E. & H.T. Anthony & Company, New York 1894-1902
Solar cameras for printing begin to appear in photographic supplier catalogues in the 1870's. Although not illustrated, "copying boxes" are mentioned as early as 1876 in Thomas H. McCollin's Illustrated Catalogue, January 1, 1876. They are presumed to have been manufactured by E. & H. T. Anthony & Company, as many of the other cameras and products in the catalogue were made by Anthony. One of the earliest illustrations can be found in Anthony's Photographic Bulletin, November 27, 1886:
The Climax copy camera was available in various sizes ranging from 4x5 to 17x20, and was carried in Anthony catalogs through 1902. Firms like Scovill & Adams and G. Gennert continued to offer copy cameras for several years beyond.
Marketed alongside the Climax copy camera, Anthony's Lantern Slide Camera was geared specifically for the copy of 4x5 negatives to be used in magic lanterns. The camera was constructed with an oscillating frame carriage for the ground glass and plate holder, to facilitate the adjustment of the picture on the plate.
Ad from Anthony's The International Annual, Anthony's Photographic Bulletin, 1898-1899
The example shown has a 30-inch bed, the familiar nickel-plated Anthony manufacturer's tag with a 591 Broadway, New York address and a Rapid Aristoscope 4x5 lens. The Aristoscope line of rapid rectilinear lenses was marketed by Anthony, available in sizes between 4x5 and 22x25, as well as in wide angle configurations. They can be found in journal references and in Anthony's advertisements from 1888-1901.