CINE-KODAK TRIPOD HEAD AND HANDLE
Eastman Kodak Company, Rochester, New York 1923-1930
Tripod Head and Handle made specifically for the Cine-Kodak/Cine-Kodak Model A hand-cranked 16mm motion picture cameras. The head and handle shown here, would typically have been mounted on wooden tripod legs.
The Cine-Kodak camera marked Eastman's entrance into the 16mm amateur motion picture market. At its introduction in 1923, it was only offered as part of an outfit consisting of a camera, tripod, film splicer, projector and a projection screen. Due to the Cine-Kodak's bulk, weight and its hand cranked operation, the use of a tripod was almost a requirement to obtain satisfactory results. Later on, a motor drive unit would become available.
By 1924, the Cine-Kodak camera could be purchased separately, as well as the tripod, head and the tripod handle. The head used the smaller 1/4" thread mount (versus 3/8" for professional equipment), which became the industry standard for most amateur motion picture cameras. The tripod handle was fixed at a downward angle, to provide greater comfort and to adequately clear the back of the camera.
From Eastman's "Kodaks and Kodak Supplies" catalog for 1924
From "The Cine-Kodak and Kodascope", February, 1924
The head's mounting surface is a great example of form following function. The silver-outlined sections mirror the camera's decorative scheme, while the surface's channels form a positive grip alignment with the ribs cast into the camera's base:
Like many of the accessories for the Cine-Kodak, its tripod, head and handle are rarely encountered today.