MODEL S10 1000' FILM MAGAZINE FOR THE MITCHELL STANDARD AND GC
Mitchell Camera Corporation, Glendale, California 1946- Early 1960's
Model S10 1000' 35mm Film Magazine for the Mitchell Standard and GC motion picture cameras. As typically mounted without an adaptor, the Model S10 with a base width of 1-15/16" can only be used with the Standard and GC models, as other Mitchell cameras such as the NC, BNC and BNCR utilize magazines having a 2-3/16" wide base.
Following several different pulley styles found on Mitchell's earlier magazines, pulleys with a 10-spoke design began to emerge in the mid-to-late 1920's. This later version of the 10-spoke design, seen on the magazine featured here, is held on the spindle shaft by a cap screw, the cap screw being retained by two smaller screws. Probably introduced by the mid-1940's, this would be Mitchell's last pulley design, found on their magazines until they closed their doors in the late 1970's.
The Mitchell magazine was designed by John E. Leonard of Los Angeles, California, who also designed the Mitchell Standard 35mm motion picture camera. Leonard, who held over a dozen patents related to the Mitchell Camera, was granted Patent No. 1,336,640 on April 13,1920, having applied for it on May 19,1919:
Source: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
This patent number would continue to appear on Mitchell's "acorn" shield, probably into the early 1960's:
This particular S10 magazine was manufactured for the U.S. Army Signal Corps, indicated by the tag affixed to the magazine's base:
With this magazine having a Glendale, California address, its manufacture would have occurred sometime between early 1946 when Mitchell relocated to Glendale and the early 1960's. The "MFP OCT. 48" seen in white lettering near the magazine's base, is believed to be the Army's designation for the date it was either assigned or placed into service. The metal U.S. Army Signal Corps tag shown above, also contains "Order-No. 11011-Phila-48". This, together with the MFP designation, suggests that this particular magazine was probably manufactured in early-to-late 1948:
Very few Signal Corps-marked 35mm magazines, by either Mitchell or Bell & Howell, are seen today. To see an example of a Bell & Howell 1000' magazine, used by the U.S. Army Signal Corps Photographic Center, look for it under the "Cinematography" section of this website.