SPOKE PULLEY 400' FILM MAGAZINE - LOS ANGELES
Mitchell Camera Corporation, 6019 or 6025 Santa Monica Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 1925- 1929
Spoke Pulley 400' Film Magazine for the Mitchell Standard 35mm motion picture camera.
Following Mitchell's earlier magazines having 6-hole and 8-hole pulleys, this 10-spoke pulley design emerged in the mid-to-late 1920's. Believed to have been carried forward from the previous 8-hole pulley design, the first version of this new spoke pulley was held on by a single set-screw:
The spoke pulley on the magazine featured here, is held on the spindle shaft by a cap screw, the cap screw being retained by two smaller screws. This was Mitchell's last pulley design, found on their magazines until they closed their doors in the late 1970's:
The magazine was designed by John E. Leonard of Los Angeles, California, who also designed the Mitchell Standard. Leonard, who held over a dozen patents related to the Mitchell Camera, was granted Patent No. 1,336,640 on April 13, 1920, having applied it on May 19, 1919:
Source: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
This patent number is cited on Mitchell's "acorn" shield:
Probably coinciding with the appearance of the spoke pulley, Mitchell's magazine shells were now being produced from a single casting. This manner of construction succeeded their earliest three-piece magazines wherein the two circular film chambers were attached to the base.
Gone also were the ribs (called "rods" in the patent wording) that lined the film chambers and the lid interiors to hold the film in line upon the spools. As with Mitchell's earliest magazines, these first spoke pulley versions have smooth, lightly textured finishes. Later on, Mitchell's magazines, cameras, viewfinders and matte boxes were generally characterized by their accentuated black wrinkle finishes. Other than the white enamel finishes found on Mitchell's government, military or scientific-issued equipment, this black wrinkle finish is the one seen most often today. The raised rims on the lids now have wide serrated bands, along with four raised bars that were cast into the lids to improve grip.
When dating the manufacture of these magazines, it should be noted that pulleys could have been changed out during repair, being replaced with those of a more current design or an earlier style. The maker's tag (or the lack thereof) is generally a better indicator of the period of manufacture. However, research conducted by others on Mitchell's maker's tags regarding the transition of city names from Los Angeles to West Hollywood, suggests that the change on the tags occurred about 1933/1934. There may be some merit to this given that the Los Angeles address continued to be shown in Mitchell's catalog illustrations until at least November, 1937. This was well after their move to West Hollywood in August, 1929, suggesting that maybe Mitchell was in no hurry to update their name tags or their advertising to reflect the new location. In 1946, Mitchell moved to Glendale, California and this is the address seen on most surviving equipment. With respect to Mitchell's cameras, it should also be noted that in some instances cameras that were built at one address were sent back to the factory for servicing, at which time a badge with the current address was applied.
Mitchell's earliest cameras bearing the Los Angeles address are rarely seen, with magazines, viewfinders and other support equipment with this address being extremely scarce.